Monday, February 7, 2011

My Mother's World

And so I have finally set foot in my mother's world. Well, sort of.

I haven't become an actress as one of my closest friends joked, but I now find myself working side by side with people from the industry that has been a part of her life for almost half a century now.

I thought it would be awkward, but to my surprise, I immediately felt at home. I guess in that sense, I am her daughter. For the longest time, while growing up, she sheltered me from her industry, but I guess eventually finding myself part of  her world (but not quite) was inevitable. The board is composed of 30 members, some of them have been there for a really long time -- pillars in the industry, masters of their craft and highly respected. It's an interesting mix actually and I look forward to working with each and every one of them in time. PDI ran a list of the board's new members in yesterday's paper.

I've always loved movies so it's a thrill and great honor for me to be a part of the new Movie Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) -- and a huge responsibility to ensure that the movies and television shows that our children view are rated properly.

It was interesting to finally meet other children of show business --  Grace Poe- Llamanzares, our Chair and Liezl Martinez  who is a board newbie like me, met for the very first time today. In spite of the fact that our parents had known each other for four decades, we had never been introduced.  In my album somewhere, I have an old black and white photo of attending Liezl's 3rd birthday party at their home in New Manila. Other than that, we never had the chance to get to know one another.

New chapters are always interesting when they unfold -- new experiences, a whole new set of characters, a different plot...as they say, abangan.

No comments:

Post a Comment